But who can resist those big sad looking eyes and noses? How can we say no when we have wonderful smelling food and our dog with their extremely enhanced sense of smell picks up on it?
Well the answer is simply to know which foods are OK for our doggies, and which we must avoid giving to them in excess! (Read Below)
5 Foods that are potentially dangerous for our dogs:
Avocados contain a substance called Persin, to humans(who aren’t allergic) it is harmless but too much of this substance can be harmful/toxic to dogs. – Some people grow Avocado at home – if this is the case for you – keep your canine away from the growing area because Persin is in the fruit, the bark, seeds and leaves.
Whether it be wine, liquor, beer or even foods that contain alcohol – none of it is good for your dog. The reason is that alcohol(just like with us humans) has a negative affect on brains. – the major point here though, is that it takes a far lesser amount of it to do serious damage compared to the human brain. Even a minute amount of it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, problems with coordination, central nervous system depression, trouble breathing, coma and can even be potentially fatal. An important note to remember here is: the smaller the dog, the greater the negative impact.
Garlic + Onions
Whether garlic/onions are powdered, raw, cooked or even dehydrated – all forms can destroy a dog’s red blood cells. the biggest problem here is anemia(this includes some onion powder found in baby food) – eating this once in a while is fine, but eating even small doses regularly can cause poisoning. The main symptoms of anemia are vomiting, weakness, minuscule interest in food, difficulty breathing and dullness.
Coffee & caffeine
The blunt truth here, is that large amounts of caffeine can be fatal and there simply is no antidote. “Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and fits. In addition to tea and coffee — including beans and grounds — caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, colas, and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull. It’s also in some cold medicines and pain killers.” source
Raisins & Grapes
Oftentimes, Grapes and raisins are given to our dogs as treats – this is not a good idea believe it or not. It is not exactly clear as to why – but these foods can cause kidney failure in our dogs. Even a small amount can make them ill – an early warning sign is vomiting, within 24 hours your dog will become depressed and lethargic, the best solution is always prevention – keep grapes and raisins out of reach and never feed it to them as treats.
So now that you know simple foods that could potentially be dangerous for your dogs, make sure to share this knowledge with dog owners you know.
Share this with your friends and family using the buttons below!